The CEIAG - (Careers Education Information Advice Guidance) provision at Ash Hill Academy has been designed to positively support you to acquire the educational, social and employability skills necessary for lifelong success in a diverse and changing world of work. Our Careers Programme is personalised to the academy in conjunction with our partners at Careers Inc.
- Subject Lessons, - Information and discussions in with a subject specific focus to help you make decisions about careers based on subject knowledge and transferable skills.
- Tutorials, Assemblies & Life Lessons – Discussions and resources about the local market information, growth job sectors and
- Step Up Days - Events such as employability days
Information, Advice & Guidance is provided through:
- Careers Cafes & Careers Fairs - Employers, Colleges and Universities will visit the school on a regular basic to talk to you about their industry and how to train and qualify for role in that sector.
- Careers Portal – You have access to our online Careers Portal.
- Results Service – a team of advisers will be able to talk through you needs on results day to help you confirm your intended destination.
- Qualified 1-2-1 Guidance - You also have access to a qualified careers advisor, who will provide confidential and impartial advice to students on the information they have received or to help guide students to make fully informed decisions.
- Planning for the future – if you have a career idea but want to find out the best route for you or if you have no career ideas our advisers can help you create career ideas around your interests and skills.
- GCSE & A Level Options - Choosing your options and what would best suit you.
- Apprenticeships - Finding work or an apprenticeship, including job hunting techniques including mock interviews
- Parents Evenings - Access to careers advisers in a variety of ways including individual meetings, drop-in sessions, enrichment activities, parents and option evenings and on results days
- Technology - Information and updates will also be available on notice boards, plasma screens and the website
HeppSY+ work in partnership with us to increase the number of young people progressing to higher education. HeppSY+ is part of a national programmed developed to support young people most at risk of missing out on Higher Education. It stands for Higher Education Progression Partnership South Yorkshire Plus and builds on the work of the existing Higher Education Progression Partnership (HEPP) which involves Sheffield Hallam University, The University of Sheffield and the South Yorkshire colleges of further education.
Pupils in Years 8 to 11 are offered a wide range of activities through HeppSY+ one of which is “The Brilliant Club”. This is an academic programme designed for high ability Year 9 and 10 pupils. Participating pupils experience six tutorials with a PHD tutor and is a unique opportunity for them to be challenged by high quality university level teaching. Pupils visit two leading universities at the start and the end of the programme and submit a 2000 word assignment on completion. The pupils celebrate their success with a graduation ceremony.
The Mobile Classroom is a double decker bus which enables two simultaneous sessions to take place with different themes and content. It can accommodate between 30-35 pupils, with activities for pupils from Years 9 to 11. The sessions include presentations, workshops, activities, games and quizzes and is be tailored to specific year groups. Pupils gain valuable knowledge about UCAS, study skills, graduate programmes and higher education.
Through the HeppSY+ programme, pupils in Year 8 to 11 are able to visit The University of Sheffield where they learn about student life, courses on offer, finance and are able to speak directly to pupils from the university. The visits are scheduled to take place throughout the year.
Motivational speakers are invited into the academy to deliver inspirational sessions. An example of this was Kevin Mincher, a world-renowned Motivational Coach who travels the world with the goal of empowering a million young people.
Further information can be found in our careers section here.