30th September 2020
The Delta Academy – Online, Remote Learning at Ash Hill Academy
As you know, we are all facing extraordinary challenges at this time and the situation is placing pressure on all parts of society as we gradually reopen from lockdown. We are delighted to see our students return to the academy and we are looking forward to the year ahead.
Our students have been incredible in adapting to the changes we have made to the Academy, in order to be able to welcome them back, and we would like to thank you for supporting us in doing that.
The Government have made several important decisions about the reopening of schools:
- to plan how schools will continue to educate children should they need to self-isolate or if there is a partial or full closure.
- to plan how schools will offer an extended catch up curriculum
These will both be arranged for our students through The Delta Academy – Online, using the Microsoft 365 Platform.
Microsoft 365 – Teams, educating online
- Access, usernames and passwords. – All students and staff are given a Microsoft user account, which they use every day to log onto the school computers. Staff and students can login from home through the Quick Links buttons at the bottom of the Ash Hill Academy website homepage. Staff and students will use exactly the same usernames and passwords that they use in school.
- 2020 Updates -The Microsoft 365 platform has been used for a number of years by students in the academy, and students will be familiar with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook Email and One Drive Cloud Storage. This year we have integrated more of the 365 platform to include SharePoint, for quick and easy access to subject resources and Microsoft Teams, for communication and face-to-face teaching online.
- Enhance and Extend – Are you a Team Player? –Microsoft Teams will enhance and extend the learning of all of our students, whether this be through the online submission of coursework, homework or assignments, accessing subject resources, keeping up-to-date with school news and events, or accessing live learning opportunities.
- Familiarisation – During the first half term, your child will be asked to login and explore the Microsoft platform with one of their teachers. Each student will be allocated to the following teams:
- Year Group
- Emergency Class Team – for students self-isolating, or off school for illness etc.
- Actual Class Team – for direct access to their class, their teacher and the resources for online learning
- The Academy will use familiarisation activities to get students used to the platform.
- Timetable - The timetable is the most important thing for both staff and students in the Academy, so the diary and calendar on Teams will be used to direct the students on what they need to do and when.
- Support – There will be a dedicated page on our website to support staff, students and parents and this can be found here www.ashhillacademy.org.uk/online-academy
- Monitoring – As each user has a unique account, we are able to monitor the enagement, use and activity of staff and students online and we will use this to report back to parents and carers on their progress throughout the year.
In the meantime, I would once again like to take this opportunity to thank you wholeheartedly for your understanding and ongoing support in helping us to manage this unprecedented situation.
Ash Hill Academy