Frequently Asked Questions

How does the school know if pupils need extra help?

It is the responsibility of all staff to help identify pupils with SEND (Special Education Needs and Disabilities). Pupils are identified as having SEND in a variety of ways, for example, information is gathered from:

  • Primary schools
  • Reading assessment
  • End of Key Stage 2 assessments
  • School assessments and procedures for monitoring and tracking progress
  • Families
  • Pupils
  • Teacher observation/assessment
  • Previous targets/strategies
  • Education and Healthcare Plans
  • External agencies
  • On-going assessment and review procedures in line with the guidelines within the Revised Code of Practice 2014

What should I do if I think my child has SEND?

Contact your child’s Learning Manager, who will consult the SENDCo (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator), Mrs Tomlinson, or Assistant SENDCo, Miss Davison. We will listen carefully to your concerns and plan an approach together regarding how we might assess your child’s additional needs and then decide if we need to place your child on the SEND register.